Sunday, February 16, 2014

Farewell to the Captain

It’s been tough being a NY Yankees fan for the last few years: first Jorge Posada, then Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera, and now Derek Jeter. The last member of the “Core Four” has announced that 2014 will be his last season, ending one heck of a run as a Yankee.

all photos: paulathompsonfreelance.com

I remember Dad talking about this kid at short stop who was going to be phenomenal – I snicker when I say “kid” because he’s only a couple years younger than me, but let’s face it, back then I was a kid and so was he! Over the last few years, I’ve had the opportunity to see all four members of the “Core Four” play in Toronto, Cleveland and the Bronx, including watching the “Sandman” enter Yankee Stadium to the strains of Metallica. After Mo’s amazing send off last year, and the heroics displayed by Pettitte in his final game, I can only imagine what this year’s farewell tour will look like.


I’ve said since Posada left that I wish the “Core Four” had retired together so they could all go into the Baseball Hall of Fame together. They might not all make the Hall, but I’m pretty sure there will be a couple more trips to Cooperstown in my future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment