Monday, August 26, 2013

2013 travels: Sonnenberg Gardens and Mansion


Sonnenberg Mansion from the Italian Garden
Mom and I took a bus trip to Canandaigua, NY (Finger Lakes region) on Thursday, August 22nd to check out, among other things, Sonnenberg Gardens and Mansion. Built from 1885 to 1887, the mansion was the home of Frederick Ferris and Mary Clark Thompson – incidentally, my grandmother was also Mary Thompson, but not this one!

Inside the Mansion

There are many different gardens at Sonnenberg, with a Japanese Garden, a Sub-Rosa Garden, a Rose Garden and an Italian Garden among them. There is also a conservatory that reminded me of a smaller version of the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens.

Italian Garden from the Mansion

This reminds me of a Thomas Kinkade print

Conservatory
One problem with my visit – not nearly long enough to check out all the gardens! I guess I’ll just have to go back again next year on my own :)

The Mansion
Find out more about Sonnenberg Gardens and Mansion at www.sonnenberg.org

No comments:

Post a Comment